effective date: 02/18/2021
what is personal information?
our collection of personal information
From the first moment an individual interacts with us, we are collecting personal information about that individual. Sometimes we collect personal information automatically when an individual interacts with our services and sometimes we collect the personal information directly from the individual. At times, we may collect personal information about an individual from other sources and third parties, even before our first direct interaction.
personal information provided by individuals
We collect the following personal information individuals provide in connection with our services:
- Contact Information, including name, phone number, email address, mailing address, and communication preferences.
- Platform Account Information, including username and one-time access codes.
- Profile Information, including name, profile image, achievement badges and other personal information shared through the platform account.
- User-Generated Content, including images, videos, comments, messages and other information provided when individuals interact with us or use our platform, such as content captured through a device camera or images and videos stored on a device which are uploaded to the platform. Users are responsible for all user-generated content and other information they provide through the platform and other services.
- Demographic Information, including specific or approximate date of birth, age or gender.
- Support Information, including information provided to customer support so that we may resolve an individual’s question regarding our services.
personal information automatically collected
As is true of most digital platforms, we collect certain personal information automatically when using our platform or otherwise interacting with us:
- Log File Information, including internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type, browser id, date/time of visit, and pages visited.
- Analytics and Usage Information, including the electronic path taken to our services, through our services and when exiting our services, as well as usage and activity on our services, such as the links and content individuals view or engage with, platform features used, and people or accounts interacted with (also known as “Clickstream Data”).
- Location Information, including general geographic location based on IP address or, with your permission, more precise location using methods that include GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, Wi-Fi access points and other sensors.
personal information from other sources and third parties
We also obtain personal information from other sources, which we often combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from you. We receive the same categories of personal information as described above from the following sources and third parties:
- Single Sign-On: We allow users to sign on to our platform through certain third-party accounts the user maintains. When a user uses single sign-on services to access our platform, we do not receive the user’s login credentials for the relevant third-party service. Instead, we receive tokens from the single sign-on service to help identify the user in our system (such as by a user’s username) and confirm the user successfully authenticated with the single sign-on services. This information allows us to more easily provide users access to our platform.
- Other Services: When an individual interacts with our platform or services through other social media networks or services, such as when someone follows us or shares our content on other social networks, we may receive some information about that individual that they permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive is dependent upon the individual’s privacy settings with the social network. Individuals should always review and, if necessary, adjust their privacy settings on third-party websites and platforms before sharing information and/or linking or connecting them to our platform or other services.
- Advertisers, Influencers and Publishers: We engage in advertising both on our platform and through third-party services. Advertisers, influencers and publishers may share personal information with us in connection with our advertising efforts. For example, we may obtain information about whether an advertisement on our platform led to a successful engagement between an individual and a third-party advertiser.
- Service Providers: Our service providers that perform services solely on our behalf, such as analytics and certain marketing providers, collect personal information and often share some or all of this information with us. For example, we receive personal information individuals submit in response to requests for feedback to our feedback providers.
- Information Providers: We may from time to time obtain information from third-party information providers to correct or supplement personal information we collect. For example, we may obtain updated contact information from third-party information providers to reconnect with an individual.
- Publicly Available Sources: We may collect personal information about individuals that we do not otherwise have, such as contact information, from publicly available sources. We may combine this information with the information we collect from an individual directly. We use this information to contact individuals, to send advertising or promotional materials, or to personalize our services and to better understand the demographics of the individuals with whom we interact.
our use of personal information
We use personal information we collect to:
- Manage our organization and its day-to-day operations.
- Communicate with individuals, including via email, phone, text message, push notification, and social media.
- Request individuals provide us feedback about our platform and service offerings.
- Address inquiries or complaints made by or about an individual in connection with our platform or services.
- Market our platform and other services to individuals, including through email, phone, text message, social media and through the use of user-generated content as part of our advertising and marketing campaigns.
- Administer, improve and personalize our platform and other services, including by recognizing an individual and remembering their information when they return to our platform or other services.
- Develop, operate, improve, maintain, protect and provide the features and functionality of our platform and other services, including augmented reality features and machine learning models.
- Create and maintain accounts for our users.
- Identify and analyze how individuals use our platform and services.
- Infer additional information about individuals from the use of our platform and other services, such as their interests.
- Conduct research and analytics on our user base and our platform/services, including to better understand the demographics of our users.
- Improve and customize our platform and service offerings to address the needs and interests of our user base and other individuals we interact with.
- Test, enhance, update and monitor the platform and services, or diagnose or fix technology problems.
- Help maintain and enhance the safety, security and integrity of our property, platform, services, technology assets and business.
- Defend, protect or enforce our rights or applicable contracts and agreements.
- Prevent, investigate or provide notice of fraud or unlawful or criminal activity.
- Comply with legal obligations.
our disclosure of personal information
We disclose personal information in the following ways:
- To Our Affiliates: We may share personal information with other companies owned or controlled by our legal entity Captions, LLC., and other companies under common ownership with Captions, LLC., which include subsidiaries (any organization we own or control) or parent companies (any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiaries they own, particularly when we collaborate in providing our platform or services.
- To Other Users and the General Public: We share personal information designated for sharing on the platform with certain or all other Captions users, or the general public, based on the applicable user privacy settings and intended recipients. Keep in mind that the users who view user-generated content can always reshare or redistribute the content both on and off the platform or save or copy the content outside of the platform. In addition, by publicly posting content on our platform, you are directing us to disclose that information as broadly as possible and directing those accessing the content to do the same.
- To Marketing Partners: We coordinate and share personal information with our marketing partners in order to advertise and communicate with individuals about our platform and the services we make available.
- To Third Parties. We may also share or sell personal information collected through our platform to third parties for their own business and commercial purposes, including for the purpose of marketing third-party products or services to users.
- To Service Providers: We engage other third parties to perform certain functions on our behalf in connection with the uses of personal information described in the Our Use of Personal Information section above. Depending on the function the third party serves, the service provider may process personal information on our behalf or have access to personal information while performing functions on our behalf.
- To Other Businesses as Needed to Provide Services: We may share personal information with third parties that an individual engages with through our services or as needed to fulfill a request or transaction including, for example, payment processing services.
- In Connection with a Business Transaction or Reorganization. We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets. We may disclose personal information to a third party during negotiation of, in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Personal information may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- To Comply with Legal Obligations and Rights:
- We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to reduce credit risk and collect debts owed to us;
- to protect the health and safety of us, our customers, or any person; or· as otherwise required by applicable law.
- With Consent or Direction: We may disclose personal information about an individual to certain other third parties or publicly with their consent or direction.
cookies and related technologies
We and our third-party partners and providers may use (i) cookies or small data files that are stored on an individual’s computer and (ii) other, similar technologies, such as web beacons, pixels, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies and logging technologies (collectively, “cookies”) to automatically collect certain personal information when an individual visits or interacts with our platform and other services. For example, our platform and other services use these technologies to automatically collect analytics and usage information so we can conduct analytics and deliver personalized advertising.
If an individual would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow the individual to: (i) change browser settings to notify the individual when they receive a cookie, which lets the individual choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set the browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact the individual’s experience using our online services, as some features and offerings may not work properly or at all. Depending on the individual’s device and operating system, the individual may not be able to delete or block all cookies. In addition, if the individual wants to reject cookies across all their browsers and devices, the individual will need to do so on each browser on each device the individual actively uses. The individual may also set their email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether the individual has accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
To opt out of receiving online interest-based advertisements on mobile apps, please follow the instructions at http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
augmented reality features
We may make available through our platform and other services augmented reality features that allow users to overlay digital content and information within user-generated videos and images. In order to provide these features, we collect additional information about objects contained in user-generated content, including using advanced technology to better understand the size, shape and location of an object in space. If the user-generated content contains an image of an individual, we may automatically generate information about the physical characteristics of the individual in order to place digital content on top of or around the individual, such as identifying the location of their eyes, nose, mouth and ears to generate a digital overlay for the individual’s face. We do not collect this information for the purpose of identifying any individuals and only retain the information for the length of time needed to create and record the overlaid digital content. If you have any questions about how this technology works, please contact us as set forth below in the Contact Us section.
children’s personal information
Our platform and other services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, or knowingly, collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not use our websites or online services or otherwise provide us with any personal information either directly or by other means. If a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us to request that we remove the personal information from our systems. If we learn that any personal information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that personal information.
third-party websites and services
We may choose or be required by law to provide different or additional disclosures relating to the processing of personal information about residents of certain countries, regions or states. Please refer below for disclosures that may be applicable to you:
- If you are a resident of the State of California: Users of the platform who are California residents under the age of 18 may request and obtain removal of user-generated content they posted on the platform. To submit such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the material. For example, materials that were posted may have been republished or reposted by another user or third party.
- If you are a resident of the State of Nevada:Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes permits a Nevada resident to opt out of future sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about the resident. To submit such a request, please contact us at email@example.com.
- If you are based in the European Economic Area ("EEA"), please click here for additional privacy disclosures.